- Natural Resources Department
- Comprehensive Wastewater/Nutrient Management Plan
- Massachusetts Estuaries Project Final Report
Massachusetts Estuaries Project Final Report
This page provides access to the final report entitled: "Linked Watershed-Embayment Model to Determine Critical Nitrogen Loading Thresholds for Stage Harbor, Sulphur Springs, Taylors Pond, Bassing Harbor, and Muddy Creek, Chatham, Massachusetts". This report was prepared by the Massachusetts Estuaries Project, December 2003.
Please note that the first file containing the entire report (minus the Executive Summary) is a very large file due to the extensive graphics, as a result download times may be prolonged. The report is also available by individual sections as separate smaller files.
January 27, 2004 Update: Copies are now available for review at Chatham Town Hall, Town Annex, and Eldredge Public Library.
- Chatham MEP Final Report (entire document, not including Executive Summary) (PDF)
This is the complete MEP report, not including the Executive Summary, contained in one, large file. Due to the extensive graphics in the file download times may be prolonged. The report is also available in individual sections.
- Executive Summary (PDF)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
Includes Cover; Acknowledgements; Table of Contents; Figures; and Tables.
- I Introduction (PDF)
Includes subsections on The Massachusetts Estuaries Project Approach; Site Description; Nitrogen Loading; Water Quality Modeling; and Report Description.
- II Previous Nitrogen Management Studies (PDF)
- III Delineation of Watersheds (PDF)
Includes subsections on Background; Model Description; and Chatham Contributory Areas
- IV Watershed Nitrogen Loading to Embayments: Land Use, Stream Inputs, Nitrogen Sediment Flux and Recycling (PDF)
Includes subsections on Watershed Land-Based Nitrogen Loading Analysis; Attenuation of Nitrogen in Surface Water Transport; and Benthic Regeneration of Nitrogen in Bottom Sediments
- V Hydrodynamic Modeling (PDF)
Includes subsections on Introduction; Geomorphic and Anthropogenic Effects to the Estuarine System; Field Data Collection and Analysis; Hydrodynamic Modeling; Flushing Characteristics; Alternatives to Improve Tidal Flushing (Muddy Creek and Frost Fish Creek); and Summary
- VI Water Quality Modeling (PDF)
Includes subsections on Data Sources for the Model; and Model Description and Application (Build-out and No Anthropogenic Load Scenarios)
- VII Assessment of Embayment Nutrient Related Ecological Health (PDF)
Includes subsections on Overview of Biological Health Indicators; Bottom Water Dissolved Oxygen; Eelgrass Analysis; and Benthic Infauna Analysis
- VIII Critical Nutrient Threshold Determination and Development of Water Quality Targets (PDF)
Includes subsections on Assessment of Nitrogen Related Habitat Quality; Threshold Nitrogen Concentrations; and Development of Target Nitrogen Loads
- IX Alternatives to Improve Tidal Flushing and Water Quality (Muddy Creek) (PDF)
Includes subsections on Muddy Creek Hydrodynamic Alternatives; and Muddy Creek Nitrogen Loading Alternatives
- X References (PDF)
- Draft Report (June 2003) Comment Responses (PDF)
This document contains the responses of the Mass. Estuaries Project Team to questions/comments on the Draft Report issued in June of 2003. It is provided for information as the questions/comments have been addressed in the final report.