The Town of Chatham’s short-term rental online registry is now active.
The registry is required under the Board of Health’s Short Term Rental Regulations adopted on April 24, 2023. Registration of a short-term rental property with the Town is required by March 1, 2024 for the summer 2024 rental season. The registration fee per property is $50. The local registration is in addition to required registration with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
The link to access the online registry (https://chathamma.portal.opengov.com/categories/1073) is located on the Health Division’s webpage and under the “How Do I – Apply” section on the Town’s website home page.
While registrants are required to sign an affidavit attesting to their property meeting the requirements of the Regulations, please note inspections are not currently required prior to the issuance of a rental certificate. However, the Town reserves the right to inspect a property as needed to address any concerns identified in the registration process or complaints made by a tenant.
Owners of short-term rentals must comply with minimum standards required by the Massachusetts Sanitary Code (105 CMR 410) which include but are not limited to:
- Basic structural safety and overall security
- Smoke Detectors and carbon monoxide alarms, as required by M.G.L. c. 148, §§ 26 C-F½ and 780 CMR: Massachusetts State Building Code, 527 CMR 1.00: Massachusetts Comprehensive Fire Safety Code, and 248 CMR 10.00: Uniform State Plumbing Code and in compliance with accepted standards.
- Two means of egress, especially on a second or higher floor
- Properly installed and functioning utilities, appliances, fixtures, and plumbing
- Proper storage and disposal of trash and recycling
Individuals with questions on the Short-term Regulations should contact Health Agent Judith Giorgio at 508-945-5165 or email@example.com .